sleeps9hours's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Jul 17, 12

Read in June, 2012

I just read Kelly McGonigal's "The Willpower Instinct", so I can't help but compare the two.

Duhigg is an investigative reporter for the NY Times, while McGonigal is a research psychologist, and the differences come across in the writing. McGonigal has a much better grasp on the research and how to apply it, while Duhigg brings in stories that are entertaining but stretch his powers of interpretation. His most annoying stylistic problem is that he breaks his stories up, stopping one to start another and then coming back to it later. I assume he's trying to add a sense of anticipation and drama to what should otherwise be a straightforward nonfiction book, but I found it frustrating for him to be jumping back and forth for no good reason.

I did enjoy many of his stories though. The most interesting was in the section about social habits where he explains why the arrest of Rosa Parks was so influential while other black women at the same time had also refused to give up their seats but didn't spark much interest (Parks had social ties across dozens of groups, black and white, and knew some people of influence). The entire story of how Martin Luther King, Jr. became involved, and all the people who got the bus boycott rolling is so fascinating to hear in detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mutasim Makeen I 2nd that

message 2: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Can you tell me which book i should read first out of these two, Power of habits and The willpower instict.

sleeps9hours I would say The Willpower Instinct. That way you'll have a better understanding of the theory before taking on a more applied book.

message 4: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Thank you sleep9hours. I will follow your advise.

Ajibola The Rosa Parks chapter i thought would be the least interesting one, it turned out to be the most interesting chapter.

Margaret Mechinus I agree about his jumping around in his stories. I was listening to the audio book and several times thought I had the wrong disk in or that they were numbered wrong. Very confusing and frustrating.