Christina Tang-Bernas's Reviews > Eighth Grade Bites

Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

Jun 29, 2012

Read in June, 2012

I feel like I've reverted into being a junior-high girl which is a strange and unsettling feeling. I watch Disney Channel original movies, find teenage boys like Lucas Till and Colin Ford good-looking (really disturbing!!), and read tons of books like this one. I don't even remember being in eighth grade except to say that it was probably just as sucky as the main character, Vladimir Tod, finds it to be. Except, he has bigger problems than I probably ever did. But, I am able to empathize with the feelings of isolation he has and Ms. Brewer has ably captured the sense of a lonely boy.

Also, I find that Ms. Brewer has cleverly added in lots of fun details that an eighth grade vampire probably has to deal with on a daily basis: blood packs, sunblock, an "allergy" to garlic. (As an aside: how come the dad vampire from twilight never stole blood packs? I remember him being a doctor and I'm sure human blood probably tastes better than animal blood to vampires.)

Most of this book seems to be setting up for the rest of the series so there's not a whole lot of action for me, which isn't terrible, but did leave me feeling a little wanting. I do love Vlad's best friend, Henry, and the whole love-hate that Vlad feels towards him was actually the most delightful part of the novel for me because it was so REAL. Besides, the only parts where I laughed out loud were the conversations between Henry and Vlad.

I would actually prefer to give this book 3.5 stars but I upped it to four because I feel like I may judge the book more harshly than I should and because it accomplishes what it set out to do. Would I read the rest of the series? I'm not sure. But then again, I'm finding it harder and harder to be motivated enough to read the rest of the books in any series. Fun popcorn summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eighth Grade Bites.