L.K. Jay's Reviews > Whispers Under Ground

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Jun 29, 2012

bookshelves: london-police-fantasy
Read in June, 2012

I was looking forward to this book so much, I woke up at 4am to download it onto my kindle. Then I read the first chapter and was useless at work the next day. That is how much I like the Peter Grant stories. I love the eccentricity of the magical police officers and the fact that one of the main characters is the city of London itself.

Our gang at The Folly have to investigate the mysterious death of a young man found in an underground station. Of course, this death is not as simple as a straightforward murder, there is magic and all sorts afoot as Peter, Lesley and Nightingale go on a hunt around and under London to find the bonkers truth.

What I like about this, and this third story has really refined this, is the banter between Peter and his colleagues. They may be doing magic and discovering all sorts of strangeness but they are all down to earth and witty as hell. The only thing I would have liked is more at the end, I felt there was more information to be had from some more characters and a few loose ends that could be explored more. Well I guess that means I'll have to wait for the next one. Hurry up and write it please!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers Under Ground.