Dan's Reviews > Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells

Baltimore, Vol. 2 by Mike Mignola

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, reviewed
Read in June, 2012

I'd be completely dishonest, and thus quite remiss, if I was to admit that I wasn't somewhat apprehensive about the quality of Mignola's second addendum to the Baltimore mythos. It's not just the current state of disrepair that the realm of graphic novels has found itself in, and unfortunately I feel as though some of Mignola's recent work- within the realm of the B.P.R.D. has suffered this affliction as well. The ending of the first B.P.R.D. arc suffered from loose threads (some that still have to be tied damnit!) and a mediocre ending that just existed merely to lead to the next arc- which I'll admit, has been pretty mediocre so far: this includes, weak character development, bland narrative movement, clunky dialoge, the full monty unfortunately. Even the first Baltimore, while a fun and definitely enjoyable read, seemed more of an appetizer (see my review) instead of a full course. It introduced the character, his world, and the works conflict but, was really more a tease than a full blown work that I expected.

Well thankfully my fears have been allayed: Baltimore: The Curse Bells is an incredibly enjoyable read. In fact, what makes this work so stupendous is that we find Mignola really going out on a limb to really galvinize his audience, as much as himself I bet. In a genre that is becoming staler and staler as time goes on, it's a much needed and absolutely delicious breathe of fresh air that we're going to savor for sometime. Second only to Mignola's Storm and the Fury- no other graphic novel of his creation has been so suffused with gruesomeness, bloodiness, and downright spine-chilling horror- along with the absolutely frightening pandemonioum it entails.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baltimore, Vol. 2.