Alexandra Thompson's Reviews > Fablehaven

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

F_50x66
Jun 29, 12

I read this series a year or so ago, so forgive me if it's sketchy.

I think people are really underestimating this book, expecting it to be some sort of perfect fairytale. Mull wrote the characters so that they would fit real life, because in reality, a young boy will be tempted to break the rules. A lot.

They also can't blame Kendra and Seth (the main characters) for being quite dramatic at times. I mean, what if you discovered that your whole world is crumbling at your feet because of some impossible magical beings? As an addition, they're just kids, and you can't expect them to be mature and have the best relationship as brother and sister.

Also, the nudity makes quite a bit of sense, because (SPOILER) if a person is transformed into an animal with no clothing, when the animal is transformed back there will be a brief (very brief!) moment when the person is nude. As for the blood drinking thing, Kendra only does it because it's mixed in with other ingredients, and the blood is from a magical being. So really, it's probably not even blood. Maybe magic dust or ambrosia or something. She had to drink it to save herself, so it makes perfect sense.

The twists and turns in the story were quite interesting, although I did have to go back and read some (for example, small details that I skipped over were mentioned again). Other than that, the book is a definite must-read for kids from 8-14 that enjoy fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fablehaven.