Mary Grace's Reviews > The Demi-Monde: Winter

The Demi-Monde by Rod Rees

4202510
Jun 29, 12

Read in June, 2012

More of an explanation than a review since I am marking this book as a DNF. I’ve had Demo-Monde in my reader for awhile now and sometimes a reader has to admit defeat when it comes to books that one just can’t grasp. I had issue with the book from the very start. First was the information dumped. It was overwhelming and I wasn’t appreciating the way the author laid all the facts right there. It was like being given a bulk of information to absorb right from the very start without the chance to get used to the setup first – if you know what I mean. Second was the toggle styled-acronym-slang-terms in the book that the author somehow thought necessary. I couldn’t get pass that especially when you read it almost line per line and you are lost with what is being talked about. I believe it was a vital part of the novel itself but for me it was just distracting. And lastly, I was not connecting to it. There was no love exchanged between Demi-Monde and I. It has a promising premise but reading it wasn’t as appealing to me as I wanted it to be.

I really reaLLY REALLY wanted to like this book but if I can’t get pass a few chapters, I need to stop entirely to avoid being disappointed in the end right? *sigh* Maybe in a few months I’ll revisit Demi-Monde and maybe then I’ll have a new view but for now, I just can’t.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demi-Monde.