R.E. Butler's Reviews > Planet Mail

Planet Mail by Kate Pearce

Jul 03, 12

Read from June 29 to July 03, 2012

What a strange and interesting book this turned out to be. I read many reviews about this book that complained that the heroine, Douglass, didn't point out she had a son back on earth until late in the book and I completely agree with that. If I was in an accident, the first thing I would do when I woke up is ask to be taken to see my kids. Her reasoning is later revealed, but it seems shallow at best. She should have been beating her fists against the walls to be taken back to her wrecked ship so she could check the distress signal, especially considering the fact she'd been unconscious for a while. I have some issues with her lack of consent (which seems to be a theme in a lot of alien/human stories) and also with the aliens' unwillingness to explain their customs to someone that clearly didn't know what was going on.

Overall, the book painted a really interesting picture about a back-asswards farming planet in need of women and the a female interstellar delivery driver who crash lands there and captures the eye of the king. I won't be looking for more in the series, but I don't regret the investment of my time or money in it. I will look for more by Kate, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planet Mail.