Diego Munoz's Reviews > The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship

The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over t... by Charles Bukowski

M_50x66
Jul 15, 12

Read from July 10 to 16, 2012

Bukowski's diary kept in his early 70's.

A little repetitive at times, as his days consisted of going to the races, pondering the human species, writing, fearing that he could no longer write, and loosing touch with modern society.

Perhaps my favorite quote came in the final chapter:

"Why are there so few interesting people? Out of the millions, why aren't there a few? Must we continue to live with this drab and ponderous species? Seems their only act is violence. They are good at that. They truly blossom. Shit flowers, stinking up our chance. Problem is I must continue to interact with them."

So that is the basic town of the book.

If you haven't read Bukowski, i'd read "Factotum," "Ham on Rye," or "Post Office" ahead of this.

Finally, there are illustrations by Robert Crumb in this, which are brilliant. Well worth the $2 it cost me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship.