Jeffrey Keeten's Reviews > The Savage Detectives

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Savage Detectives.

message 1: by knig (new)

knig I'm uming and erring over this one: I also got Ian's group invite, but Savage Detectives has such mixed reviews: I might just stick to the southern lit trail

message 2: by Jeffrey (new) - added it

Jeffrey Keeten Knig-o-lass wrote: "I'm uming and erring over this one: I also got Ian's group invite, but Savage Detectives has such mixed reviews: I might just stick to the southern lit trail"

Oh ho ho mixed reviews is right. I can't get a proper read on this book at all. I understand your trepidation. I have been shying away from Bolano for years, but I know it is only a matter of time before I will feel compelled to read him, so after some thought I decided to join Ian's group read crusade. I hope to learn something from the smart boys and girls in that group. My goal will be "try not to sound stupid". haha

Great profile pic by the way, very fetching. I need to come up with a new pic myself, something dashing or mysterious or maybe just studious to lend weight to my reviews.

The Southern Lit Trail has really been good to me. They have pushed me in the right directions.

message 3: by Traveller (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:37PM) (new) - added it

Traveller I've started on this already, but it's still too early (about 11% in) to say anything beyond that so far it's been easy, quick and fast - a far cry from my other read, Pynchon's GR.

message 4: by Jeffrey (new) - added it

Jeffrey Keeten Traveller wrote: "I've started on this already, but it's still to early (about 11% in) to say anything beyond that so far it's been easy, quick and fast - a far cry from my other read, Pynchon's GR."

Well that is encouraging news Traveller. I too compare books to the GR scale.

Chance Maree I've just finished IJ and am spending more time with SD. GR is on the nightstand, but I think I'd enjoy something with a little less gravitas right now.

message 6: by Jeffrey (new) - added it

Jeffrey Keeten Chance wrote: "I've just finished IJ and am spending more time with SD. GR is on the nightstand, but I think I'd enjoy something with a little less gravitas right now."

You are really taking on the door stopper books... I'm so impressed. I would guess after reading IJ that SD should feel like a pleasant walk in the park, but GR crunched my brain more than a few times. As soon as I clean up a few books I'll be trying to catch up with you on SD.

message 7: by Chance (last edited Aug 05, 2012 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chance Maree Jeffrey wrote: "Chance wrote: "I've just finished IJ and am spending more time with SD. GR is on the nightstand, but I think I'd enjoy something with a little less gravitas right now."

You are really taking on th..."

SD seems kind of one-dimensional after IJ. I understand several threads going on, but really, lots of hot air and clumsy gyrations, sound and fury about nothing, compared to IJ. I understand this is the idealization of navel enthralled youth, so understanding and awareness are not deep. Yet. I hope it gets better.