Renee's Reviews > Because They Hate

Because They Hate by Brigitte Gabriel

Jul 30, 07

bookshelves: islam, religion
Read in January, 2007

In Because They Hate, Brigitte Gabriel describes her idyllic childhood as a Christian in Lebanon and her teen years spent with her aged parents in a bomb shelter there during hostilities between Lebanon & Israel in the 1970s. She describes her perception of the destruction of her birth country by Moslems.

She makes the case that Islam is an extremely acquisitive ideology with world domination in mind – not peaceful coexistence. Gabriel goes on to advise us about threats to western civilization and culture, and specifically to our (U.S., she’s an American citizen now) country – and what our response should be to fend off that threat.

I first heard about her on Michelle Malkin’s blog, [http://www.michellemalkin.com], and a link to a U-Tube video of her giving a speech at Heritage Foundation or American Enterprise Institute (I'm not sure which & I can't seem to find the link - bad girl!). Wow. She’s a really powerful speaker and dynamo. It’s also gratifying to hear a naturalized citizen so fully embrace our country and furthermore, become an activist in its preservation and protection: Gabriel started an organization, the American Congress for Truth ([http://www.americancongressfortruth.com/]) to do just that. This book is an extension of those efforts and a warning to all who value our freedom and security. Compelling read!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because They Hate.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by KC (new)

KC I think it makes Americans giddy to find a former Muslim or person who lived in a mainly Muslim country who writes scathing things about the culture since it's "straight from the horse's mouth", so to say. I take issue with conservative Christians trying to dictate policy in Texas, but that doesn't mean Christianity is an inherently diabolical religion trying to take over the world, although that might be what someone like an extreme evangelist would like. I think the problem is that this kind of a generalization leaves out ALL the important facts as the authors grab at every bit of evidence to vent their frustration and sometimes what has become a very prejudiced view of the center of all their personal disgust. Consider the fact that so many Muslims themselves have been killed or harmed by terror attacks (although its typical for Westerners to see themselves as the main victims). Furthermore, the fact that Muslims too suffered in the Lebanese Civil War. And as an example, that 700 Palestinians (mainly Muslims) were slaughtered by the Christian Lebanese Phalange Militia in Sabra and Shatila. And as another interesting example, that Palestinian Christians have voted for and joined Hamas--that is to say, there's a lot more to this than the sound bites and rhetoric we hear.

The simplest thing to do is to look at things from the other point of view. The United States and other world powers have had a heavy hand in shaping the Middle East, Afghanistan, and Iran, and continue to do so. In the past the US supported Saddam Hussein and failed to aid an Iraqi uprising against him, orchestrated a coup to depose a leader in Iran, supports a monarchy with a heinous human rights record, refuses to strongly criticize Israel on its inhumane treatment of the Palestinians, and that's just the start. Not to mention the Soviet invasion and occupation of Afghanistan whilst the US armed militants there. While all religions are different indeed, there is nothing particularly aggressive about any--Judaism in the old testament too prescribes stoning to death--and to assume that the multitude of problems found in the Middle East is particularly horrific because of its predominant religion is misleading, to say the least, besides the fact that other areas have seen just as disturbing conditions, if not worse at times. If you want to understand situations in the Middle East, like Lebanon, you'll have to take a closer look than decrying Islam. To begin with take a look at Robert Fisk's book Pity the Nation--the Abduction of Lebanon.

message 1: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Krause Maybe Americans should wake up!