booklady's Reviews > The Journey: A Spiritual Roadmap for Modern Pilgrims

The Journey by Peter Kreeft

Aug 20, 14

bookshelves: classic, non-fiction, philosophy, religion, 2006, 2008, 2014, 2010
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read on August 19, 2014, read count: many!

August 19, 2014: Reread The Journey again last night! I've lost track of how many times I've read this book. As written below, this is an all-time favorite, so I expect this won't be my last journey with this epic either. In this case, as in most of my other re-reads, it seemed a good time to fine-tune philosophical thinking ... and for that, I can hardly recommend anyone better than Peter Kreeft who outdoes himself here.

May 1, 2008: One of the best books I ever read by one of my favorite authors! I've given away several copies.* It's an allegory which can be read in a single sitting and for this disorganized, right-brained, left-handed wannabe it breaks down the confusing conundrums of Philosophy into ten very simple bite-sized questions:
1. To question or not to question, that is the question: do we approach life as a journey to be undertaken or do we sit where we are?
2. Is it true that there is no Truth?
3. Can't we be Cynical about Cynicism?
4. Is the meaning of Life that Life is Meaningless?
5. What's the Matter with 'Nothing but Matter'?
6. Is it really wrong to think there's a real right and wrong?
7. Can there be a moral law without a moral lawgiver?
8. Is God everywhere or nowhere?
9. Could His-Story be a Non-Prophet Organization?
10. Is Jesus, Lord, Liar or Lunatic?

Each chapter brings us to another question and another historical figure who will provide the information necessary to aide us in answering the above philosophical questions. Kreeft leads the reader from Epicurean mindlessness to active living, through the pitfalls of skepticism, nihilism, materialism (and more!) on to a belief in the One True God and finally to the ultimate question of who He is.

Not to be missed! (I resurrected this book when I just got disgusted with Blackburn's Being Good, a supposed Introduction to Ethics.)

*The first time I read it, I immediately went out and bought two more copies for my daughters so that we could read it together the next year in homeschooling. Sadly, we didn't homeschool the next year; I still hope and pray they will read it!
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey.

message 1: by Wanda (new) - added it

Wanda Thanks for the review!

booklady I really think you both will love it. Socrates is Kreeft's guide on the journey from Plato's Cave out into the Light of Truth. Are you familiar with Plato's Allegory of the Cave? It's where C. S. Lewis' Shadowlands comes from . . . most people would rather sit and watch the shadows dancing on the rear wall of the cave than get up, go outside the cave and see what is causing the shadows. The whole thing is told in story form like Dante's "Divine Comedy" only this is much funnier, easier-to-read and up-to-date.

Clare Cannon I've given this book to so many people! One of my all-time favourites :)

booklady Yes! Me too!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis Is this one that is written in dialogue or Q&A style?

Homeschoolmama OK, another one to add to my list :) Thanks for the great review!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis Julie wrote: "Is this one that is written in dialogue or Q&A style?"
Oh wait, I just saw your second comment ... that will teach me to expand the comments section before asking a question!

booklady Thank you Homeschoolmama! No problem Julie ... even when I read things I often misread -- the eyes going over the words but not seeing what is there or seeing what I want to see, etc. ;)

Bear Bear will read it...

message 10: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Hartono First time I hear of this book by one of my favorite authors! I'm always learning something new from our book lady! :-)

Number seven is the most intriguing for me. I sat in on a discussion about Confusious ethics at the Singapore University. An older gentleman brought up the need for a deity when speaking of morality.

And as I wrote myself, I thought Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals was ingenious. But without Christ as the Superman, humanity is doomed in a never ending cycle between master-types and slave-types.

booklady Carmen wrote: "First time I hear of this book by one of my favorite authors! I'm always learning something new from our book lady! :-)

I promise you will love it Carmen! This is my favorite by Kreeft. :)

message 12: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Hartono Thank you, Booklady.

I heard the good news about Oklahoma. We've been praying.

booklady Yes it is good news and we are very grateful! Thank you for the prayers!