Meagan Masters's Reviews > Silently Inside

Silently Inside by Richard M. Cochran

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in July, 2012

I'm really not sure how I found this, but the description screamed at me to read it for a forensics (speech/drama) cutting that I had to share with some people.

The book is a very short and rather dark read, but it was deliciously written. I'm not one to highlight things on my Kindle, but there were too many passages that jumped out at me.

I'm not sure how to describe the plot, as this book is really one man's self examination of his own reaction to processing love, life, and death. Maybe it resonated with me because it wasn't that long ago that I lost someone very important to me, and the dark feelings and numbness that followed, Cochran was able to describe better than anyone I have ever encountered. Some emotions are very difficult to put into words. Some of us just don't process things the way others do. And some of us build walls for the purpose of protecting ourselves with no intention of letting anyone break them down. The essence of all of that is captured in this book. Not only that, but also the release one can find through the process of writing itself.

"The pen is infinite. It can go anywhere. It can do anything."

"I light a cigarette and remove the notebook from my satchel. I open it, and place it in front of me. I no longer care what it says, only what it has yet to say.

It's always what will be.
And never what is."

"I wasn't afraid of dying, I was afraid of living. I was afraid of what would come next."

"I'm afraid everything else will change and I will not be able to follow."

"Live the coldness away."

These are just a few of the many passages I highlighted. If you value the richness of language and the power of words, this book is a decadent piece of rich, chocolate pie ... or maybe I just needed a change from some of the shallow fluff I've read too much of lately. Regardless, it was the best 99 cents I've EVER spent at Amazon, and well worth more. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silently Inside.