Maxime's Reviews > Finding Flow: The Psychology Of Engagement With Everyday Life

Finding Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Jun 28, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

Finding Flow had all the makings of an amazing read. It had the inspiring psychological phenomenon, the self-help practicality, and a sturdy foundation of scientific research. But somewhere in the mix, Finding Flow falls short in my book. (a book within a book; literary infinity shot anyone?) Do not get me wrong, the phenomenon of “Flow State“ is fascinating and Mihaly is indeed the leading expert on it. Reading about it did inspire me to think about my life in different terms and to apply some changes. However, the book was not what I would call a fun read. It lacked a certain zest and personality. Either that or Mihaly lacked it. Though I believe Mihaly has applied the concept of flow to his life, he did not convey this at all. The entire book I kept waiting for the author to open up, and to share some of his insights and struggles with achieving flow state in his own life. But alas, he remained distant and seemingly uninvested. Some may prefer this form of writing when discussing something “scientific,“ but it makes for a stale read. I was also somewhat dismayed that there were no bulleted tips or concluding recaps of the relevant information in each chapter. This would have been very helpful. I may take a stab at his original, more definitive text on the subject, “Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.“ It is a lengthier read, but it may contain some juicier bits. Overall this book is far from terrible and flow state is worth reading about for any person, however you may want to start with Mihaly's other works.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Flow.