Dreams's Reviews > Insanity

Insanity by Lauren Hammond

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own-read, favorite-books, 3-4-star-reads, kindle-books
Read from July 04 to 06, 2012

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?” -Albert Einstein

"Her madness hath the oddest frame of sense, such a dependency of thing on thing, as e'er I heard in madness" -Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

What would you do if you found yourself with a translucent understanding of who you are, a hazy recollection of who you were, and in an asylum that you know, without a doubt, you do not belong in?
What would you do for love?
What wouldn't you do for love?
Are there any trials so insurmountable that you wouldn't endure them to find answers?
To seek the truth of the matter?

From the first few chapters in, this book solicited my mind and fascinated me.
Once I started reading it I had a hard time putting it back down. Just when I thought I had something figured out, a few chapters later I'd find my conjecture was off base.

The book is told in alternating views from Addy's present location in the asylum to her past with Damien. Lauren Hammond is an author that pays attention to the small details...
Particular phrases and actions from past to present tense...the length of someone's hair, the color of their eyes etc.

There was a point in this book where I thought everything was real, a point where I thought nothing was real, a point where I thought this book was going to turn into a mixture of "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Niffenegger and Kaysen's "Girl Interrupted".

I saw this book going so many different directions and having finished it, I STILL have questions!!
I'm just glad I waited until the second book was published before reading this because, were it not, I may be the one being checked into an asylum right now.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insanity.

07/05/2012
40.0% "Lauren Hammond is seriously screwing with my head right now! Who is the girl with the violet eyes in the picture frame? Is it Addy? Is it her daughter? Is Damien even real?"
07/06/2012
60.0% "Ah...I knew it...."