M. Kay's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Jan 26, 13

Read from July 08 to 11, 2012

Aha! I did it! My first review and mermaid book. *Ahem* Excuse me. I forgot the correct term is called Syrena, as Galen, one of the main characters of Poseidon would prefer to be called. I say a human like being that can grow an iridescent scaly fin in place of feet is a mermaid. But that's just my take on the matter. Back to the subject at hand, my review.

To be honest, I don't know how to explain what I feel about this book. My feelings are as luke warm as a glass of water that's been sitting on the counter all day. Why? Because for me the plot was mediocre. It was like putting a souffle in the oven only to find that it fell flat. Hmm, maybe that 's harsh. But hey...that's how I felt. After the first couple of chapters, I kept waiting for something dramatic to happen. Hmph! Dreams deflated.

The love spats between Emma and Galen were entertaining, it just wasn't enough to make me want to invest my emotions. I mean the potential was there, but aside from Emma's birth mystery, I felt that the characters were one dimensional. I like my characters layered like onions. Bad description, but you get my point. They didn't have enough depth.

Something else that grated on my nerves was how Banks gave Emma an irritating habit of saying "ohmysweetgoodness". *rolls eyes* I'm not kidding when I say she probably said it at least every other chapter (at least it seemed that way). I wanted to pull my hair out! However that's minor, nothing that stunts the progression of the story. And what's up with the cliche electric feeling that's in almost every YA paranormal romance these days. Whatever. We won't go there.

Okay, after all that griping, there was something that I liked. I appreciated the awesome cliff hanger at the ending; still I'm hesitant about reading Of Triton. Of course I could always mentally play out my own scenario of what I think will happen in the next. That would be entertaining......nah, I would rather be enlightened by the author. Because of this, and this one thing only, I will be reading a copy of the next installation in this series.

In conclusion, I really don't know. This wasn't a bad book, but I wasn't floored by it. After reading a few more, YA books, I'm sure that I will forget about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

07/08/2012 page 32
07/08/2012 page 58
17.0% "I've never read a mermaid book...interesting......" 4 comments
07/08/2012 page 102
30.0% "Right through a glass window, huh? Hmm...that's a little uhh....overboard." 7 comments
07/08/2012 page 113
34.0% "If she says "ohmysweetgoodness" one more time, I'm going to pull my hair out."
07/11/2012 page 226
67.0% "I'm upset that she needs a baby sitter. I mean, c'mon! She should at least have some common sense to stay out of trouble." 1 comment
07/11/2012 page 256
76.0% "'shorty' and 'boo'??? Yes, let's never EVER call her that!!"
07/11/2012 page 263
78.0% "Again with the 'oh my sweet goodness'. Geez."
07/11/2012 page 309
92.0% 1 comment
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Yep....I think that was my first comment about the book back when she had only said it like 3 times...lol

Rebecca Barquero lol said what???

M. Kay Rebecca wrote: "lol said what???"

"ohmysweetgoodness" She says this like 10 times in the book. I have to write my blog review later, and I will be sure to mention this.

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars