Denise Barney's Reviews > Leaving Before It's Over

Leaving Before It's Over by Jean Reynolds Page

Jun 28, 2012

liked it

I downloaded this book through Barnes & Noble's "Free Friday" promotoon and thought it would be a nicee change of pace.from what I was currently reading.

Set in the hills of North Carolina and Virginia, at a time when Kodak Instamatics were new, the story revolves around the Vines family. It's the end of the school year, and 16-year-old Lola is worried about her future and her mother. Her father left suddenly and her mother won't come out of her bedroom.

Fortunately, the story did not follow the plotline I expected, but revolved instead around families, their secrets, and how decisions made years previously can haunt the present.

Unfortunately, the characters seem somwhat one-dimensional, and motivatiins are not always clear. The good guys are good; the bad guys are bad. The Virginia side of the family suffers most from this lack.

The download included an exerpt from a newer novel, a Q&A with the authoe, and her bio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Before It's Over.