Narai's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

U_50x66
Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Quotes Narai Liked

Oscar Wilde
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
tags: sin

Oscar Wilde
“Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”

Oscar Wilde
“The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.”

Oscar Wilde
“I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”

Oscar Wilde
“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

Oscar Wilde
“When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.”

Oscar Wilde
“I am too fond of reading books to care to write them.”

Oscar Wilde
“Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.”

Oscar Wilde
“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.”

Oscar Wilde
“Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.”

Oscar Wilde
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.”

Oscar Wilde
“Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.”

Oscar Wilde
“Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.”

Oscar Wilde
“A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.”

Oscar Wilde
“I have grown to love secrecy. It seems to be the one thing that can make modern life mysterious or marvelous to us. The commonest thing is delightful if only one hides it.”

Oscar Wilde
“Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.”

Oscar Wilde
“She is very clever, too clever for a woman. She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness.”

Oscar Wilde
“One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.”

Oscar Wilde
“It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible....”

Oscar Wilde
“We women, as some one says, love with our ears, just as you men love with your eyes...”

Oscar Wilde
“She is all the great heroines of the world in one. She is more than an individual. I love her, and I must make her love me. I want to make Romeo jealous. I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter, and grow sad. I want a breath of our passion to stir dust into consciousness, to wake their ashes into pain. ”