Eden's Reviews > Devine Intervention

Devine Intervention by Martha Brockenbrough

Dec 10, 12

Starting with Jerome: his first-person voice my confidence wavered in. (Did that sentence make sense to you?) Some aspects of it are believable; some parts aren't. It doesn't detract from his character overall, at least. Heidi's third-person POV is a little more of a struggle, especially since we see her steeped in troubles from the very start; first impressions do matter on a reader. Her family is oddly 2D, which doesn't contribute to her as a character.

The plot is shaky. After the turning-point where Heidi becomes disconnected from her body, the pair zoom somewhat sporadically all over town, an unclear motive in mind for both of them. Heidi wants to leave a final parting message while Jerome's trying to cover his butt and also figure things out, but neither seem to have any sort of aim or path towards accomplishing these objectives. Thus, when the somewhat-antagonist finally makes his move, the reader is confident -- no, demanding -- they're finally going to get answers... in turn making his believability suspect.

This book is spare. It's no surprise that the romance lasts one page, with no hope of revival. While, beyond the plot, there are no glaring defects in Devine Intervention, it simply doesn't inspire any sort of emotional response from the reader.

*Review originally published on Pass the Chiclets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devine Intervention.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dang, two stars?!? What the heck happened? Need more info pretty please, this is in my TBR pile.

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "Dang, two stars?!? What the heck happened? Need more info pretty please, this is in my TBR pile."

Hehe, review here: http://passthechiclets.blogspot.ca/2012/06/review-devine-intervention.html. Too lazy to move it over to Goodreads just yet. :P

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Yikes! That really does sound craptabulous. Kudos for the Kade reference though (I <3 her). Will be taking this off my list pronto.

Eden You can always try it yourself (though your faith in me flatters :D). And YES Stacey Kade. <3

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Another book bites the dust. Take that TBR pile, I will conquer thee!

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "Another book bites the dust. Take that TBR pile, I will conquer thee!"

Haha. You're getting ruthless, Elizabeth. ;)

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Eden wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Another book bites the dust. Take that TBR pile, I will conquer thee!"

Haha. You're getting ruthless, Elizabeth. ;)"

I was on the fence about this one a few months ago, hence my previous posts, but now that I've gone all axe wielding warrior it's a take no prisoners affair. Now, only about 1,000 more books to hack to death!