Robert Browning's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

1917566
Jun 28, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Harry Potter? Meet Mr. Alan Moore...This book gives the distinct impression that Moore is of the opinion that the world of recent literary endeavors has gone quite downhill. Still, as with all of the "League" books, the sheer fun of this series for me is trying to stump my Lit-Major brain trying to puzzle out what other fictional works he's alluding to. This series rewards the avid bibliophile with a sharp eye.

The League books have always highlighted the primary British literary figures of the era each book takes place within, so naturally we had to expect an appearance from Someone Who Must Not Be Named (for fear of nasty lawyers, no doubt)! If you're at all familiar with Mr. Moore, you probably already know what he thinks about this character even before opening the book. I won't ruin the surprise, but this third chapter brings the Century trilogy to a satisfying and morbidly hilarious close. I hope Moore doesn't abandon the graphic novel format (as he's often threatened to do as of late), but if he has then there's still enough within the League books to digest and analyze for years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.