Gregory Baird's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Dec 29, 14

bookshelves: 2008-booklist, young-adult, death-and-dying, coming-of-age
Read in October, 2008

Likeflag

Candice Another selection from our book club last year. A very interesting premise for a novel. I will definitely be interested to see what you think of this one as well.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe One of my students asked me yesterday if we had this book in the collection. Lo and behold, you're reading it. Let me know if it's appropriate for middle schoolers.

Gregory Baird To be quite honest with you, I'm not too thrilled with this book thus far (I'm at the halfway point). It isn't God-awful, but the writing isn't exactly stellar. I may try "Looking for Alaska" next, since a couple of reviews I've seen compare the two.

I'm enjoying the other book I'm reading a lot more, even though I haven't been devoting as much time to it.

I'll let you guys know the final verdict when I'm done.

Candice I have to say that the book club found some flaws with this one as well. It wasn't one of the favorites. Some of the teachers this year used it for a bullying unit (short sections of it) and some of the kids really enjoyed it. I am on the fence about it myself.

I would recommend John Green. He wrote Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns (which I am reading right now).

message 5: by Gregory (last edited Oct 23, 2008 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gregory Baird So I had a marathon night of reading last night and finished it up. It was okay. Clumsy dialogue and the action feels pretty forced, but not a terrible book.

For middle schoolers? It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but because you never know how people will react I would advise you that the plot does include date rape, suicide, and a little under-the-undies groping in a hot tub toward the end. There, I've done my civic-minded duty.
:-)

Definitely going to check out John Green. The kids clerk in my bookstore raves about Looking for Alaska.

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe Thanks. I think I'll pass on the book. The high school librarian can order it.

As for Looking For Alaska: one of my all-time favorites. Love John Green. (Check out my Facebook to see a photo of me and Mr. Green!)