Lyn's Reviews > The Girl with the Silver Eyes

The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts

F 50x66
Jun 28, 12

I own a copy

Katie has always been different. Her face lacks expression and she has weird silver eyes. The combination is upsetting to others, although she doesn’t understand why. She also has certain skills such as being able to move objects with her mind, but she tries not to do that where someone might notice.

When she was barely four Katie was sent to live with her grandmother. Her grandmother takes care of her out of duty, rather than love. She too finds Katie strange. Katie is almost nine when her mother comes for her. She has rarely visited so by that time Katie calls her Monica instead of mother.

When someone begins asking questions about Katie’s peculiarities, Katie is afraid she’ll be locked up and she isn’t sure her mother won’t be glad.

Anyone would like to have Katie’s abilities, but Davis shows that even special gifts might be misunderstood. Nine year-Old Katie learns this at an early age, but sometimes it’s difficult not to do something that comes so naturally to her.

This is a fantastic plot concept. The writing is clear and Katie is engaging and childlike. The book was first published in 1980, but children today will still be drawn to the story. It was reissued in 2011. I gave my old copy away when my children got older. Now that I'm a grandmother, I bought it again to share with a new generation.

Willo Davis Roberts received numerous awards for YA and middle grade fiction. She died in 2004, leaving a striking legacy of suspenseful mysteries for fans of all ages.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl with the Silver Eyes.