Sharon Redfern's Reviews > Backfire

Backfire by Catherine Coulter

Jun 30, 12

Read from June 28 to 30, 2012

Wow! What a book! The action is jam packed and the book has more twists and turns than that famous street in San Francisco.
Judge Ramsey Hunt is shot at home shortly after halting a murder trial he has been presiding over. The Federal Prosecutor is missing and the defendants are sitting pretty. U.S. Federal Marshall Eve Barbieri is one of the dozens of law enforcement people called in when Judge Hunt is attacked. The FBI, SFPD, and even the CIA make an appearance. Eve has a close relationship with Judge Hunt and his entire family which makes this case all the more important to her.
Around the same time, FBI Agent Dillon Savich gets a cryptic note that might be a threat. When he and his wife, fellow FBI Agent Sherlock hear about Hunt, they head off to be part of the team working on the case. They bring their five year old son, Sean along with them as Sherlock's parents live in San Francisco, and the whole family knows the Hunt family well.
Harry Christoff is the FBI Agent assigned to liaison with Eve and the sparks fly from the first moment they meet. However, the romance aspect of this book takes a back seat to the Hunt case. The presumed attacker is a busy guy or maybe gal and everyone involved is in danger throughout the entire book. The sender of the note to Savich makes an appearance and adds more excitement to the mix.
One of the things I love about this series is the continuity of the characters. Several of the ones we have met before in earlier books make an appearance and it is never gratuitous. The new characters blend in seamlessly and you learn enough about them to care fairly quickly. Of course, Sherlock and Savich are the linchpin of the story and they have some scary times in this book but their relationship is a strong as ever. I remember Ramsey, Molly and twelve year old Emma from The Target, book Three in the series, and I also remembered how much I enjoyed that book. Emma is the center of a delightful subplot involving her being a piano prodigy that adds a nice light touch to offset the tenseness of the story. Sean’s crush on her and future plans to marry the “older woman” someday is just too cute.
This series just keeps getting better and better which each book. My only complaint is that there is way too long between books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backfire.