Ellen's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: ya, coming-of-age
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2012

The world is slowing down, days are getting longer and people continue to live their lives. I kept reading, hoping something would happen or some great insight would be revealed.

Meh. Not sure why this book is getting so much buzz. It could be read (perhaps should be read) by young adults since the main character is 11 going on 12, but even most teens who've read Life As We Know It, would be puzzled.

I guess I suspect to feel something or learn something when reading a book. Disappointed on both counts. I'm going to re-read the Pfeffer books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I liked the way nothing 'HUGE' happens so to speak. The slow deterioration of 'normal' life and the looming collapse and possible extinction of humanity seemed more plausible for me. I think that's why it's left such a profound feeling upon me, that things similar on nature to the slowing could happen and we would have no control over our fates but I would happen over a long period of time. The fact these slow changes have been built as a contrast around Julia's age; where so many things rapidly change in a child's life (I'm only 23 and I remember how much changed during my adolescence as clear as day) was a winning point for me. Probably just my personal taste though!

Ellen Amy---that's a really good point! Thanks for sharing your point of view. I hadn't thought about it that way before and it makes a lot of sense.