Sandy's Reviews > I'll Be There

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: library, ya
Read in June, 2012

They weren’t supposed to meet. Emily was doing her duty by singing in the church and staring off into the back row to keep her concentration and her eyes fell upon Sam. Sam was drawn to the church’s music and he wanted to remain transparent but Emily’s eyes locked on him and the rest is history. Sam’s life is always been transparent, well at least since his father kidnapped his brother and him from his mother when he was a child and they have been on the run since. His father’s motto was to have no ties and no commitments. Emily is intrigued by Sam and she wants to start a friendship with him but where is he? The mystery of Sam starts to unravel and as a reader you feel sorry for Sam and you have high hopes for his ability to adjust and become a friend to Emily. Sam’s younger brother adds an emotional element to the story that tears out your heart as he has his own issues, emotional, health and developmental ones but you just love him. You can visualize him and your heart just reaches out to him. Sam is so committed to Riddle and vise versa that they are just inseparable. The parents on the other hand are complete opposites: Sam’s father; rough, uncaring, dominating and Emily’s parents; caring, take-charge and open. They all come together in this book as you flip through the pages. How long can they run from the law? There comes a time when you’re a teenagers when you have your own opinion, what will Sam do?

The story takes right off and does not stop until you close the book. There are parts where the tension and the journey were so intense that I could not put the book down and I cringed for the characters. My fingers were clenching the book as the turned the pages just waiting to see what happened next. Emily’s emotions were so real and I felt she was as hollow as a log at times and then later she was being lifted up on a kite strings when her life was being turned around. It’s about the have’s and the have-nots only the have-nots did not have a choice. Their choice was made by their father who was selfish and dominating. These have’s are the people we are proud to know, they have compassion and heart. A great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be There.