Anagha's Reviews > Coexist

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: posted
Recommended for: Nobody!
Read from June 27 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'm glad Coexist was only 150 pages; I was about to get a headache reading this horrifically insipid novel. Note: there are spoilers in this review.

Plot: There was no point to this story: Keegan spent 80 pages talking about her perfect, spoiled life, then spent 30 pages talking about her and Rourk's insta-love. Oh hey, this doesn't look long enough to be a novel, so let's throw in 40 pages about a random, rushed war that again succeeded to focus on Keegan. Sure, there was a tiny twist slipped in at the end, but you need something to keep this dull series going...I seriously hope the author has something more up her sleeve than (view spoiler).

Characters: The protagonist (Keegan) made me want to gag! She is so rich and pretty, and has boys, friends and a perfect family, she's so very spoiled! It's really hard to connect with and like a character who has it all. And she barely even participates in the Great war! You expect me to sympathize with her predicament? Even the protagonist feels like a two-dimensional character.
The male characters could have been much better developed. Instead of talking about Keegan shopping, the pages could have been better spent developing Thaddeus' character or training for the war.

Romanciness: Okay, I know they are each other's "chosen" and therefore, just the sight of the other is supposed to drive them crazy, but that doesn't make it any easier for the reader to swallow the insta-love. Not just that, the author stressed the importance of chosens not meeting before they're of age, but she never tells you why... Keegan and Rourk were doing fine. I agree with Rachel though, it's not fair for one person to have to follow his chosen mate around whenever she just thinks about it. I mean, what if Rourk was showering (or worse) when Keegan thought of him? How annoying!

Ending: I don't even like the resolution. The dark and light elves have been at war for thousands of years, and suddenly, (view spoiler) Seems to me like wishful thinking, maybe what might happen in a Power Rangers episode. Maybe if the author had spent more time with Thaddeus' character since he was the dude who could save the elves from extinction. He should have been the protagonist of the story, not Keegan. Even more, one can assume the second book will be full of a love triangle, which might be the second worst thing after insta-love.

Not recommended

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coexist.

06/28/2012 page 100
42.37% "They never really tell you if "chosens" meet before they're of age..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Nobody likes reading about perfectly happy people :/

Anagha Kevin wrote: "Nobody likes reading about perfectly happy people :/"

I know right? I had high expectations for this book!

Rhomy luckily I got this one for free! I would have been so mad otherwise! lol I totally agree with you :)

message 4: by Anagha (last edited Aug 28, 2012 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Anagha Rhomy wrote: "luckily I got this one for free! I would have been so mad otherwise! lol I totally agree with you :)"

Finally! Somebody who agrees! You should see the review I have posted on Amazon. More than half of the readers voted it "down". I'm seriously considering taking it down!

Rhomy lol, don't worry, I'm with you! It was endless, such a shame because the premise is good but...

Anagha Rhomy wrote: "lol, don't worry, I'm with you! It was endless, such a shame because the premise is good but..."

Agreed :)

Kindle25 I definitely agree. It was supposedly Thaddeus who was prophesied right? So why isn't he the protagonist here? And I'm pissed off and heartbroken for Rourk. The author was not satisfied with having Rourk following Keegan like a dog whenever she thinks of him, she (the author) has to let them forget about each other as well... And I also agree with the war resolution... It was just too fast! I'm not convinced

Kindle25 Correction: They did not forget about each other. Only Keegan lost her "connection" to her chosen... How can that happen anyways? Oh well...