Rose Cimarron's Reviews > Seven Into the Bleak

Seven Into the Bleak by Matthew Iden

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: author-gift, awaiting-wp, fiction, fantasy, kindle-books, short-story, reviewed, imm, 2012
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read on June 28, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

[2012-06-28] Read this after work tonight. Like the wine at the wedding in Cana, the best was saved till last in Matthew's giveaway. At the beginning, I wondered if I would enjoy this story; I couldn't see the question behind it (Matthew's stories start from a question which he answers for himself by writing). When I got to the end, the question I asked myself was not the one with which Matthew started. I don't want to say more here, for fear of spoiling the story for others. When time allows, I may write a blog post discussing it.

As ever with Matthew's books, the story is excellently crafted. The descriptions are so well done that you walk with the seven through The Bleak and face the monsters with them. The ending was both surprising and obvious: surprising when we got to it, but obvious when looking back at it.

I think I had better stop before I give too much away...so I will finish my saying "Go Buy This Book". You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Into the Bleak.