Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Play It Again, Charlie

Play It Again, Charlie by R. Cooper

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: romance, ebooks, gay, lgbt, multicultural
Read in June, 2012

Advance copy from NetGalley

This book was originally only going to get two stars, but I felt that the ending saved it. I had a difficult time getting into the book because the main character, Charlie, is very reluctant to share details, even to the reader. We know that something has happened to him, and we get that it was an accident, but we don't find out the extent of his injuries until the very end when Will talks to Charlie's grandmother and sees pictures of him in the hospital.

I liked Will and Charlie, but I didn't at the same time. It was hard to get into their relationship at first and it frustrated me that Charlie wouldn't TALK to Will. I felt like half the book was just Charlie saying his name.

However, as I said, the ending saved it. I teared up and when Charlie started to share more, I felt the pain he must have felt in having to be more open. So in that aspect, the book worked. If the author was going for that, for setting the reader up to feel the pain Charlie goes through at the end - emotionally - then the author definitely succeeded in my book.

I think I would have liked the book more if it alternated POV from Charlie to Will. I wanted to know more about what happened to Will in the past as well. He is an interesting character. He seems and acts much younger than he is, and I often forgot he wasn't a twenty year old, or even eighteen year old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play It Again, Charlie.