Tam's Reviews > The Puppet Master

Jun 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historicals, m-m
Read in June, 2012

This was an interesting story for the time period and setting alone. A rather unusual one. Haluk runs a coffee shop (which is technically illegal) and has had a boarder for the last five months Aydin. Aydin puts on puppet shows, sort of morality plays. Things are going well until an elderly man asks about Aydin who you then realize is on the run but he refuses to tell Haluk from who or why and even after they spend the night together, he runs rather than involve Haluk. However when the security forces come looking for Aydin, they murder Haluk’s shop assistant, leading to Haluk accidentally killing the guard. Eventually it comes to light who Aydin is and he’s released from his duties, with basically a warning to get out of town and since the Sultain is going to clamp down on coffee houses, it seems like a good plan.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the puppets and the coffee house and the characters who hang out there, although some of the details of the political hierarchy and court life kind of left me a bit lost as I’m not familiar with that era in history. Still, while I’m not overly a fan of historical stories, I quite enjoy it when they are set in a bit older time or at a time I’m unfamiliar with because it adds more interest like in this case even if I didn’t understand every detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Puppet Master.