Eretrece's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

U 50x66
Jun 28, 12

Read on June 28, 2012

What I liked most about this book was that it dealt with a topic I and probably a lot of other people can relate to well. Maddie lives in a world in which most interaction with other people occurs online and I feel like our world is headed in the same direction with sites such as facebook becoming more and more popular. Generally I feel like more and more aspects of our life are happening on computer screens and it was interesting to read a book in which this transition had gone even farther.
Reading this book is a great way to think about the pros and cons of the internet, so this book might be ideal to read in a book club.
Another thing I liked was how the world was described and how there were inventions I could actually imagine becoming real. For me, the world seemed like a realistic version of the future, which made me wonder what we could do today to shape the world the way we would like it to be.

I only gave this book three stars for two main reasons. Firstly, the story was slightly boring in parts of the book. I never felt like I had to go on reading and I didn't really care about what happened much.
Secondly, I didn't like the characters much. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for me it meant that I couldn't sympathize with the characters well, making me less interested in the story.

I don't know whether I should recommend this book or not. It certainly throws up some interesting questions we have to deal with in everyday
life. The book is also relatively short and easy to read, so even if you don't like it that much it won't steal too much of your time. Thus, it is a book you can read when you don't have anything better to read that you are really excited about, but nothing you should definitely buy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.