kari's Reviews > A Breath of Eyre

2207055
Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya
Read in June, 2012

So, here again I should have checked GR before starting this book . . . which is the start of a series. Wish I had known that as I would have skipped this one. No, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and for me, personally, the ending is just fine and I don't feel the need to read any further. And I more than likely won't.
Here we have the basic teenage girl who is bookish and doesn't feel she fits in at her school. Where have we read that before? Anyone know? Oh, wait, about a thousand different times. So, okay, nothing really new there.
But, then, we have the travel into Jane Eyre's story which simply, for me, wasn't well worked into the story. It felt that the author really wanted to make this Jane Eyre connection, but most of it was simply a retelling of Jane's story. Since I would think most people who read this would already know Jane's story retelling it seemed worthless. Yes, I know, when she goes back again she does make some changes, but I was already far too bored with her by that time. With Emma, not Jane.
Emma is personality-less. She is smart, but other than books, what are her thoughts? Other than Gray, what are her thoughts?
This is a cobble of too many plotlines. The whole mystery about her mother was, I just don't even know. The Haitian veve voodoo magic stuff on top of her dreaming while in a coma and all just felt very contrived to me.
And Emma is so over-the-top emotional over everything.
p. 80 "The emotions were still too raw, my humiliation too recent."
What?
Humiliation?
Um, a boy tried to kiss her and she said no and the boy made a joke about it. What was the big deal? Raw emotions? Humiliation?
Seriously, girlfriend needs to chillax.
A bit of nit-picking for which I apologize before I say it, but when you are talking about a sport or activity, make sure you do the thorough research so you know the correct terminology. Horses stay in stall, not pens. Pigs stay in pens, possibly chickens and goats and sheep, also, but not horses. Horses stay in stalls. Every time I'd read that she looks into the horse's pen, I'd be thinking that's not right. As I've said, I do know it's being very picky, but it tossed me out of the story.
What I really don't care much for is being told a book is about one thing when it's really about something entirely different. This isn't about Emma choosing Jane's life or her own. Jane's life isn't real.
This is about high school mean girls and teenage angst trying to be disguised as something with more depth.
Don't think I will read the sequels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breath of Eyre.