Seizure Romero's Reviews > The Book of Air and Shadows

Nov 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, arc
Read in October, 2008

My biggest problem with this book is the narrator's voice. Maybe I should say voices, because there are two. The first is in first person and as he tells his story he becomes more and more irritating due to his almost complete self-absorption, and I feel that the focus on his incessant and often pointless yammering detracts from the story itself. The second is a third person narrator. Having a first person narrator and a third person narrator in the same story irritates the crap out of me. Pick one and go with it. It's a peeve. Sue me.

However, even writers who irritate me can have moments that transcend and cause me to forgive their other crimes. In this book the moment arrives on page 379:

"She kissed him briefly and slid out of the bed and he thought there can't be many things more lovely than watching a woman you've just made love to walk across the room, that way her back and her ass look in the dawn's early light...."

Some truths are universal.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Air and Shadows.