Seema Vishnu's Reviews > The Palace of Illusions

The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

F 50x66
Jun 28, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Finally from a woman's perspective! :)
Like most Indians my childhood was filled with rendering of stories from Mahabharatha by various elders in the family and then books. As I grew older i did wonder at times about the thoughts that might have passed the minds of Gandhari / Draupadi / Kunti during their decision making moments and the real reason behind the decisions and directions they took.

This book provided some suggestions to many of those situations if not answers. The fact is even if all these stories were true we shall never know what lay in those women's deepest hearts.The effort of the author to try and deduce this info is commendable.

What I liked best about this book is the amount of thinking and looking inward it coaxed me to do. There-in lied the success of this book in terms of appealing to me more than the story style or pace.
This book gets one hooked to it inspite of us knowing the story a thousand times over.
Could identify myself and many women I know in bits and pieces in the characters that Chitra has built slowly but surely during the course of the story.That gave a strange sense of feel good after reading the book.

The climax is what I enjoyed the most.I admire the level of spiritual height the author has gained to be able to put "the process for liberation" in simple words as such.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Palace of Illusions.