Jessica(WonderlandReviews)'s Reviews > Demons

Demons by Heather Frost

Oct 06, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

Imagine falling in love with a boy who could never die, who never fell ill, who held the power's of regeneration so there is no chance that you will have to watch him die, that your love could be snatched away from you suddenly without a warning.

It is everyone's fear and quickly it becomes Kate Bennet's as Patrick, her Guardian and love contracts a fatal disease despite the assurance that guardians where immortal.

This book drew forth a variety of emotions for me, some good, and some bad.

So, lets get the good out of the bad out of the way first so the good can take that sour taste from things.

The first thing that bothers me, as it does in any book. Is the way the relationship is portrayed between Patrick and Kate. There is the whole age difference, that even with the "Twilight" series was a huge problem for me, but more then that it was the way the two would act around each other in this writing.

It was such an unhealthy co-dependent relationship that it caused more then a little concern for the impressionable youth that could possibly be reading this because I don't want to think of my little sister being afraid to hang out with someone, that she would have to ask her boyfriend before doing anything. I understand running it by him so he knows where she is, and inviting him, but that is a partner ship, not an ownership like it seemed Patrick and Kate have. Whats funny is that at times I can't tell who owned who.

The Second thing that bothered me was the general stereotypes, whether it came from accent's to ethnicity, it was pushed to the point that it came off aggressive and somewhat racist. I can understand the point, if someone says Hispanic there is a general image portrayed with it, the same with anyone of Asian decent or a Texan accent. It is just a fine line to walk, especially when writing.

The final thing that really bugs me more then the other two, was how selfish Kate is, she seriously never learns to listen and the end result is something tragic befalling those she loves most. All of them should learn to listen and put people's needs above their own wants sometimes.

Now. On for the good.

I loved the Time travel. There were just key details that sealed the deal for me and made me sit back and think about how excellently things were being wrapped up.

I read this book while I was at work, and wouldn't you know it, as the climatic parts started winding up I would get a customer and be forced to put the book down. It is one of those books that when the good part's occur, they really occur and stick with your thoughts all through out the day.

I love the small romantic things that occurred as well, despite the creepy age factor there were still some really sweet moments that I would love to be spoken or done for me in real life.

**POSSIBLE SPOILER DO NOT READ AND SKIP TO THE RATING AND FAVORITE QUOTES IF IT MATTERS**

The ending was my favorite part. The death of a key player seriously had my eyes welling up with tears as they fell down dead before our eyes. It was so masterfully executed that my heart ached as the character's stopped beating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons.