Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)'s Reviews > The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

Sep 13, 2013

bookshelves: short-story, review
Read on June 28, 2012

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is a prequel novella to Throne of Glass which comes out August 2012. This novella is about a 16 year old assassin called Celaena and her fellow assassin Sam as they go to the Pirate Lord’s home to work out a deal with him.

This is an enjoyable novella which deals with right and wrong and is really fast paced and action packed. Maas does a really good job getting us to understand and relate to the characters, which is quite an achievement for a story this short. There is a slight hit of romance in this book but it is much understated which looks promising for her main novel.

Celaena is a bit of a conflicting character because on one side she is good look, knows it and uses it as a weapon and is also arrogant, but on the other side wants to be good and moral and is very naïve about who she assassinates and how that business is run.

Sarah J Maas does a brilliant job with the Assassin and the Pirate Lord and I cannot wait to read the next 3 novellas and throne of glass. I would recommend this to people who like young adult fantasy books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.