Zavrina's Reviews > Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Jun 28, 12

Read in June, 2012

Though not particularly climactic or life-changing, Looking for Alibrandi was a sweet read with a well-developed, believable protagonist.

One thing I loved about Josephine is that she is flawed. She's a teenager trying to explore herself and her world, and there were quite a few times I wanted to smack her - but it was never in "that" way, like where you think some characters have Too Stupid Too Live Syndrome. She was a character you could relate to a bit, and those close to her - Michael, Jacob, Nonna Katia, Kristina - were as well-developed too. (view spoiler)

I also liked that despite the constant references to religion (since Josephine attends a Catholic school), Marchetta never came across as preachy or anything. It was just a part of Jose's character and life, and that was that.

I look forward to reading more of Marchetta's work, as I know she is highly acclaimed among YA literature, and I'm starting to see why after reading this debut novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alibrandi.