Sineala's Reviews > Whispers Under Ground

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Jun 27, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, fantasy, urban-fantasy, fiction, e-books
Read in June, 2012

I loved this book so so so so much. In some ways I am grateful that I only discovered this series a few months ago; it means I didn't have to wait very long at all for this one. (Now I just have to wait for the next one! Argh!)

While I didn't like the previous book quite as much as Rivers of London, this book, thankfully, improves on its predecessor and is, I think, just as good as the first one, with an intriguing mystery and plenty of Peter Grant skulking around the tunnels of the Underground and trying to solve a murder. Smart, funny, and wonderfully geeky -- come on, he namechecks AD&D, Tolkien, and Avatar: the Last Airbender. (That part had me laughing out loud, even though the scene itself is really rather dramatic.) Basically, I loved it, and if you liked the first two, you owe it to yourself to read this. If you haven't read the first two, go read them.

I would have liked to see Peter (or Leslie or Nightingale) get to do a little more magic; this book seemed strangely absent of spells, although there was plenty of other supernatural stuff going on. Maybe later, if the Faceless Man shows up again, yeah? And maybe we could learn more about whatever happened at Ettersberg? But, really, I will be happy with whatever we get, because I love these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers Under Ground.