Harue Jules's Reviews > A Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Jul 26, 12

One of my all time favourite books and one that made me wonder what is like for Irving to have peaked so early in his career.

While The World According to Garp is more renowned, I think this book is better.

Classical Irving style, there are some incredibly funny parts that had me in stitches. He always has a scene or two that can do that to the reader.

Owen is a tiny boy with a funny voice. He is tormented and teased but it does not affect him. He just goes on being Owen.

And the boy observing all that does not quite understand it, but he does not worship it or put it down. He is very objective about it.

In a way, Owen is a very religious character. And his life could be seen as another version - a less dramatic one - of the Savior himself.

Harry Potter becomes immune to the Dark Lord's fatal spells when he decides to sacrifice himself for his friends. Owen is not so lucky - he dies for kids he did not even know. And yet, it is befitting of him because to him, it is not about dying for Queen and Country or his family - he does for his fellow man because that is what he is about.

I keep going back to this book because Owen is hard to resist and forget. I sometimes feel I know him for real; that I met him somewhere...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer for Owen Meany.