Justin's Reviews > When It Happens

When It Happens by Susane Colasanti

Jun 29, 2012

Read from June 27 to 29, 2012

When it Happens is such an adorable book. This is the first book I have read of Susane's but it was the one that kept being recommended when I had asked friends that had read most if not all of her books. And now I can see why they talked so positively about it. Susane's writing reminds me so, so much of Sarah Dessen, which I really think helped me enjoy this book anymore. Susane truly has an amazing voice though, and it really shines in When it Happens.

When it Happens is one of those books that I feel like you just can't help but love. It's an extremely cute story, that you really feel like you get drawn into. It's got some great friendships, relationships and it even has some pretty cool teachers.. I know, right? You don't see many cool teachers in books, but I really liked a specific teacher in this book. While the romance is a huge focus in this book, I loved some of the other stuff too such as seeing if the characters where able to get into the schools the wanted to, and what actually happened from there.

Sara, Laila and Maggie share such an enjoyable friendship. Their friendship was actually one of my favorite parts of the book. I just really found myself enjoying the scenes that they were together in. I would always find myself laughing at the notes that Sara and Laila sent back and forth during classes, especially the ones where they would pick random names for themselves. It's something small, but it's little things like that which can really help you connect with the characters and get a sense of their personalities, and I love that.

Now to talk about the relationships.. I am not going to go into an extreme amount of detail here, simply because I don't want to spoil anything. Dave and Tobey are complete opposites. And to put it nicely, I really, really hate one of them. Once I found out some of the things that one of them did, that was it. I was so happy to see who ended up with Sara, I think they are so great together. I wish I could go on and on about how great of a relationship it is, but I want you all to be able to figure out which one she actually ends up with and how it all plays out.

The ending is all you could want it to be, and more. You have this cute story, and you get an even cuter ending. It was great seeing how everything played out for Sara, her friends and the guy she ended up with.. which I still won't say which one it is. You get to see how all of the school stuff plays out, and just where the relationships and friendships are going to go. It's just such an easy story to read, and the ending felt very concrete which is nice. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to see where things went with them going to college and everything, but I would like to think things worked out for the best especially considering how things actually worked out in regards to the different schools they all got into.

I'm really going to have to read more of Susane's books after this though. If any of them are even just a fraction of the awesomeness that is When it Happens, I can't wait to read them. I'm going to end this review by speaking to those of you that might not have read this book, or any of Susane's books. If you haven't then I highly suggest that you do so, I can see very clearly why it was recommended that I start with When It Happens, so I just want to pass along that advice. I can't wait to read some of her other books now though.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When It Happens.

06/29/2012 page 230