E.L.'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads-and-rereads

This was the Harry Potter book that was perhaps the most frustrating for me. So much promise ... and yet so hopelessly illogical.

Point #1 - Dumbledore (as we are told over and over again, but never actually shown) is the greatest wizard in the world. Yet he is completely and totally fooled by a Death Eater imposing as a close and personal friend to him. This makes no sense.

Point #2 - Harry is able to fight off the Imperius Curse the very first time it is ever used on him, even able to repel it from Voldemort himself. Yet the best Auror in the world succumbs to it not just once, but over and over again. How?

There's more, but I won't go on. And yet the concept was so fascinating ... the Triwizard Tournament. The rising menace of Voldemort. Even the Quidditch World Cup. So many brilliant ideas, and the overall threat of the hidden danger to Harry (another frustration to me, as a lifelong mystery fan - we're never given enough clues to figure out who the impostor is on our own; we are passively waiting to find out just as Harry is) - and yet ultimately, the best story in the world will collapse given enough illogicalities, and this was one too many for me. An especial disappointment after the tightness and brilliance of Prisoner of Azkaban.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.