Jerry's Reviews > I am Ozzy

I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne

Jun 27, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from June 27 to July 09, 2012

As a long time fan of Ozzy, I was excited to find he had written an autobiography. Even if I've stopped following his recent activity, his music has been a constant in my life for at least thirty years. So I decided to read this book. I'd already heard so many of the stories, and remembered a lot of them from the news. So I didn't expect too much.

I was wrong. This book is phenomenal. It is everything an autobiography should be. Ozzy starts from childhood and goes straight up to the writing of his memoirs. He leaves no detail out. It is one amazing ride. That Ozzy has lived to 64 years old is nothing short of miraculous, and he knows it. He's done just about everything possible to get himself killed.

The writing in this book is top notch. It's what you would expect if Ozzy came to your house, sat down, and started telling you about his life. His voice is captured so perfectly and vividly that I could hear him speaking in my head. Hat's off to Ozzy's ghost writer, Chris Ayres, for not only capturing the voice but also organizing the stories in logical yet dramatic order. I honestly couldn't put this book down once I had picked it up.

The book did have its downsides. It dragged a bit around the two-thirds mark. By that time the pattern of drug-fueled freakout followed by waking up confused gets old. But then things pick up and the book flies to the finish. It's a bluntly honest look at Ozzy's life. I have more respect for him now than I ever did before. He's still the Prince of Darkness, God of Metal. But he's also a regular man who's amazed at his luck... which he has in spades.

Go read this book, even if you don't know who Ozzy is. You will love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Ozzy.

Quotes Jerry Liked

Ozzy Osbourne
“That night, at God knows what hour, Bill phoned me up and shouted, ‘Ozzy, I think my
house is haunted!’

‘Sell tickets then,’ I told him, and put the phone down.”
Ozzy Osbourne, I Am Ozzy

06/27/2012
3.0% 2 comments
07/06/2012
61.0% "How much longer can I read about Ozzy being wasted? Still a great book, though!"
07/07/2012
70.0% "Finally got to where he's in rehab. How is he still alive?"
show 7 hidden updates…