Laura's Reviews > Ten Girls to Watch

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Jul 16, 12

Read from June 27 to July 14, 2012

Dawn West is having a hard time after college: she can't break free from her ex, she can't find a job, and her roommate is a bit weird. When she lands a gig tracking down the former Charm magazine's Girls to Watch from the last 50 years, she finds out a little more about herself as she interviews these fascinating women.

At first, I was a little leery of how the author would balance telling Dawn's story while giving the readers tidbits of the women who won the contest. However, I shouldn't have given it a thought. The past winners' stories are woven in seamlessly in Dawn's own story and help develop Dawn as a character almost as much as her own experiences.

Dawn is a likable but kind of weak character at the beginning, but I think most women (me included) can relate to the "can't quite let go of the ex-boyfriend" storyline. Despite a few bumps on the road, she grows into a strong women sure of herself and her career choice. I loved the twist of her becoming friends with her ex-boyfriend's current girl. Their "friendship" was a fun subplot.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. The plot is fast-paced, the idea interesting, and the characters are well-developed. Charity Shumway's debut novel puts her on the Ten Writers to Watch list.

I received this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Girls to Watch.