All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The 13th Sign

Jun 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina, earc

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE 13TH SIGN has a creative and fresh idea involving zodiac signs, but unfortunately it fell flat in its execution. I loved the idea of Zodiac signs being real creatures and that a shift in ones sign means a shift in your personality. Although, considering most horoscopes are pretty general in their traits and could be attributed to many people, the extreme and sudden shifts in personalities and actions were too extreme to believe for me.

I enjoyed following Jalen around as she combats each zodiac sign whose weakness is revealed through their core characteristics. Unfortunately with 13 battles to fight there wasn’t too much room for real character development and I felt like Jalen and her friends were rushing through all of the battles without any room for me to pause and absorb what was happening. Some of the battles were pretty interesting and detailed but a lot were underwhelming and disappointing.

Jalen seemed like an interesting character but we barely got to know her and her relationship with her friends before the great shift in personalities happened. So many plot points rushed by that were actually pretty cool sounding but were never fully resolved or explained. For example, the mystery of what happened to Jalen’s father who possibly went through the same thing Jalen did was mentioned but I didn’t fully understand what happened to him.

THE 13TH SIGN would have been so much better if it were longer or divided into multiple books to give more room for character and plot development. I liked the lesson Jalen learned in the end about herself and her capabilities but by then it was too little too late. The intriguing premise was squandered by poor execution.

Sexual content: none

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Sign.