Addie R.'s Reviews > Rise

Rise by Andrea Cremer

Apr 01, 13

bookshelves: sequel, series, 2013-release, boy-protag, fantasy, holy-shit-epic, kickass-heroine-hero, magic, paranormal, read-2013, swoon, adventure
Read from March 27 to April 01, 2013

More like 4.5/5 stars

Wow. What an epic conclusion to this prequel. It gives so much background and insight to the Nightshade series, a series which I've come to loved. Ember was such a fierce and strong MC to read about. I loved how determined and persistence she was to defend those she loved and for what she believed was right.

The only problem I had with this series was the writing style. While Cremer's writing made the story very captivating and addicting, the sort of historical style to it kind of dragged it down for me, as it did with Rift. But if your normally a fan of historical fiction you probably won't find any problem with it.

The love-triangle in this series was probably the best I've read about. Allistar's love for Ember was more desperate and possessive and he really turns into a much more forceful and twisted guy in this book compared to the first. He's the sort of guy you'd have a soft spot for, and can't really blame for his harsh actions. His love was twisted, but I understood why it became that way through his perspective. Barrow is the one Ember wants from the start, and I loved the way their relationship was built over time.

Overall, even though the series wasn't that good of a start with Rift for me, it definitely ended on an epic note with Rise. There were a few slow parts throughout the story, but in all ended up being one action-packed, white-knuckled thrill ride that will tug at your heart-strings. I would say that I want more, but there's really nothing more to add to this prequel. Cremer really summed things up in the ending. I recommend this series to really anyone. Whether you've read the Nightshade series or not I think you'll really come to love this series.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise.

03/30/2013 page 257
66.0% "Is it bad that I want Ember to end up with Allistar instead of Barrow? o.o"

Mariya Yes, they are. I requested and didn't get approved. They make up this lame excuse too. :/

Addie R. I knoow! They're all like, we have met our limit of free copies at this time >__>
I think the only book they approved me on was Through to You.

Mariya I remember when I use to get approved all the time, but know I never get approved anymore on Netgalley/Edelweiss. And it's mostly for the YA books. I think they've gone more strict now or something. B/c honestly Rise just got put up on there and they're saying that? really? It's really frusterating. :/

message 4: by Addie R. (last edited Aug 06, 2012 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addie R. Same with me :P
I think they're just saying that, when they really just don't want us to get the copies for some reason.