travelgirlut's Reviews > Altered Carbon

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Jun 27, 12

Read in June, 2012

I probably shouldn't have read this so soon after reading Pandora's Star, since they are both about transferring consciousness from one body to another. I think the whole topic was dealt with much better in Pandora's Star, and it didn't have all the crudeness and sex and had much more believable characters.

Altered Carbon had way too many random characters that would disappear for a hundred-plus pages and then pop back in without any sort of reintroduction. It was hard to keep track of who I was supposed to remember and who was new. The storyline was all over the place to me. We're reading about one crime, then following clues about another, then looping back around to getting revenge on someone for something in the past that we never even really know what it is. Kind of a crazy ride, and not in a good way.

The violence in the book didn't bother me, but wowser, there were some rated-R sex scenes, which honestly added nothing to the story. Morgan just seemed to be adding in all the elements he could think of to make a book sell.

I did finish reading the book, mainly because I had nothing else to read at the time, but I don't recommend this for anyone I know. Not worth the time.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered Carbon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Casey I actually read Pandora's Star and Altered Carbon at the same time! It happened more randomly than anything else. I completely agree that Pandora's Star was better explained and had more fleshed out characters.

Travis I agree. He seems to go on for a few pages about the world background and then- boom! Major plot detail in one sentence. I would have appreciated a little repetition but maybe not everyone else would have too.

Do you normally read much noir?