Shannon's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Jun 26, 2011

bookshelves: re-reading, all-time-favorites
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from June 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** I have now offically read every book in this series at least twice (I've read the first book probably ten times, and the second and third at least three times).

This book still held just as much power of me as it did the first day I brought it home and read it. It took me about 10 hours both times, although this second time had a few more breaks inbetween. I was able to read a little easier though this book the second time becuase I already knew the fates of the characters. This didn't make it eaiser however. I still cried when Headwig died, and Fred and Remus and I bawled like a small child in chapter 34 when Harry had to choose to meet his end. The childlike question he asks Sirius "Does it hurt?" and Sirius' reply, "Not at all. Quicker and easier than falling asleep." wrench my heart even as i think the words. I was able to enjoy other parts that I had mearly skimmed over the first time, while trying to find the answers. Parts like when Fred talks about getting married, when you know it will never happen. The happiness on Reumes' face when he talks about his son, when you know he will never see him again. Little things that you realize were J.K.'s way of saying goodbye to her characters. Things you couldn't have noticed the first time through.

I love this book, and I am sure I will read it again, and that it's words will still have power over me. some of her sentances are so beautifully crafted that I had to stop just to repeat them. lines like "The ghost of his last laugh still etched on his face." or "Of course this is happening in your head, Harry. But why on earth would that mean it wasn't real?"

It's almost as if the Harry Potter books are like fine wine, they only get better with time.

Quotes Shannon Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

J.K. Rowling
“We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.”

J.K. Rowling
“I'm going to keep going until I succeed — or die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years.”

J.K. Rowling
“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”

J.K. Rowling
“He can run faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo.”

J.K. Rowling
“Does it hurt?" The childish question had escaped Harry's lips before he could stop it.

"Dying? Not at all," said Sirius. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep.”

J.K. Rowling
“We teachers are rather good at magic, you know.”

J.K. Rowling
“Every second he breathed, the smell of the grass, the cool air on his face, was so precious: To think that people had years and years, time to waste, so much time it dragged, and he was clinging to each second.”

J.K. Rowling
“Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.”

J.K. Rowling
“I am sorry too," said Lupin. "Sorry I will never know [my son]... but he will know why I died and I hope he will understand I was trying to make a world in which he could live a happier life.”

J.K. Rowling
“You are nearly there," said James. "Very close. We are...so proud of you.”

J.K. Rowling
“Look...at...me..." he whispered. The green eyes found the black, but after a second, something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank, and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.”

J.K. Rowling
“The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?'
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.”

“You'll stay with me?'
Until the very end,' said James.”

J.K. Rowling
“Great, tell me when you've defeated Voldemort for me, will you?”

J.K. Rowling
“Contemplating the task ahead would not make it easier or the water warmer.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

“After all this time?"
"Always...”

J.K. Rowling
“Finally, the truth. Lying with his face pressed into the dusty carpet of the office where he had once thought he was learning the secrets of victory, Harry understood at last that he was not supposed to survive.”

J.K. Rowling
“But they were not living, thought Harry: They were gone. The empty words could not disguise the fact that his parents' moldering remains lay beneath snow and stone, indifferent, unknowing. And tears came before he could stop them, boiling hot then instantly freezing on his face, and what was the point in wiping them off or pretending? He let them fall, his lips pressed hard together, looking down at the thick snow hiding from his eyes the place where the last of Lily and James lay, bones now, surely, or dust, not knowing or caring that their living son stood so near, his heart still beating, alive because of their sacrifice and close to wishing, at this moment, that he was sleeping under the snow with them.”

J.K. Rowling
“We’re all going to keep fighting, Harry. You know that?”

J.K. Rowling
“It was not, after all, so easy to die.”

J.K. Rowling
“Hogwarts was the first and best home he had known. He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys, had all found home here. ”

J.K. Rowling
“He lay face down, listening to the silence. He was perfectly alone. Nobody was watching. Nobody else was there. He was not perfectly sure that he was there himself. ”

J.K. Rowling
“And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face.”

J.K. Rowling
“The world had ended, so why had the battle not ceased, the castle fallen silent in horror, and every combatant laid down their arms? Harry's mind was in freefall, spinning out of control, unable to grasp the impossiblity, because Fred Weasley could not be dead, the evidence of all his senses must be lying - ”

J.K. Rowling
“You think I'm a fool?" demanded Harry.
"No, I think you're like James," said Lupin, "who would have regarded it as the height of dishonor to mistrust his friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?”
"...I think the answer is that a circle has no beginning."
"Well reasoned.”

J.K. Rowling
“Power was my weakness and my temptation.”

J.K. Rowling
“As he followed Bill back to the others a wry though came to him, born no doubt of the wine he had drunk. He seemed set on course to become just as reckless a godfather to Teddy Lupin as Sirius Black had been to him.”

J.K. Rowling
“Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?”

J.K. Rowling
“You are the true master of death, because the true master does not seek to run away from Death. He accepts that be must die, and understands that there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying.”

J.K. Rowling
“Only the difference between truth and lies, courage and cowardice.”