Vanessa's Reviews > Reason to Breathe

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

F_50x66
Jun 27, 12

Read in June, 2012

This book was incredibly frustrating and after 1/4 through the book, I found myself skimming the rest just to find out what happens. The book is incredibly long, considering nothing even happens! Basically, she has boy problems while being abused at home. The end. And just a warning, the ending isn't very satisfying.

The main character is so frustrating; her stupidity is merely used to further along the plot. She gets horribly abused by her twisted aunt and while she knows that it could all end with just one phone call, she apparently loves her cousins so much that she doesn't want to do anything that would take away their parents. I found this really hard to believe considering there was no apparent bonding between her and the kids. Plus, if she really loved them, she wouldn't want to leave them with such a mentally disturbed mother. Granted, her judgment is probably skewed, but the fact that her best friend goes along with this for the entire novel is unbelievable! Ugh, just a frustrating, unrealistic novel.

If anyone is interested in a more realistic portrayal of a home abuse story, I would strongly recommend Why Me? by Sarah Burleton, as well as her follow-up novel What It Is. They are actually memoirs, so it strikes more true to the heart than a fictionalized version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reason to Breathe.