Eimy's Reviews > Alice I Have Been

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Jan 05, 2015

bookshelves: favorites
Read in April, 2010

I would recommend this book to people who are serious fans of Alice in Wonderland or even people who would want to get to know more about Alice. This book, however,is a mixture between historical facts and fiction. So, if you just wish to know the facts then just go to wikipedia; For those who want to know who Alice Liddell was with a some fiction involved then this is the book for you.

Alice I Have Been is a very character driven type of book.
So, don't expect her jumping into wonderland at any time. This is just for you to get to know Alice.

I think Melanie Benjamin did a great job with developing Alice as a character. Benjamin writes about Alice in such a great way, and i love how we read about Alice when she was younger, to her teens, and when she's finally much older and see the how events in her life shape who she is when she's older.

Seeing Alice change over the years was sad but interesting to read about. And i LOVE the guest appearence another famous charcater makes.Which makes sense why it would be that character. (When you read it you'll understand what i mean.)

So overall, i felt more coneccted to Alice Liddell the girl who inspired Alice Adventures in Wonderland, by the end. I wouldn't recommend this book if your looking for an action story with some serious plot twist. This a book for you to just get to know the chracter and how she changes over time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice I Have Been.

Quotes Eimy Liked

Melanie Benjamin
“I suppose at some point, we all have to decide which memories - real or otherwise - to hold on to, and which ones to let go.”

Melanie Benjamin
“Why were there so many barriers between us, always? Barriers of clothing, of etiquette, of time and age and reason.”

Melanie Benjamin
“Wonderland was all we had in common, after all; Wonderland was what was denied the two of us. I had denied him his; he had denied me mine.”