Cathy 's Reviews > Spin State

Spin State by Chris Moriarty

Just wonderful. All of the best elements of classic sci-fi and who-done-its, yet totally new at the same time. I was fascinated on every single page. The way she wove the science and human angles together was perfect. In an odd way, it reminded me of the first Dune book. Not the story in any way other than perhaps the genetics/breeding humans stuff, but because both universes were so fully imagined that they feel absolutely real, from technology to politics to interpersonal relationships, it all rings 100% true. I'd also compare it to Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series in the areas of writing skill, smart authors who don't make the reader feel dumb, likable but deeply flawed heroes, and great use of imagined and real technology. It also includes my favorite sci-fi elements of a deep question of morality with more than one legitimate answer (if not methods?) and an exploration of human, and non-human, rights. Without being preachy, always a tough thing to do.

June 2013 - I'm happy to say that I still loved it after reading it a second time. I was nervous that the glow would have worn off, but the second reading just let me appreciate and absorb the details more, and take note of a few things that I vaguely remember might have significance in the second book as well. I'm so thrilled that the third book in the trilogy has finally been released, I wasn't sure if it would ever happen at one point. Chris is one of the smartest authors I've come across. This series and her new YA historical fantasy series (totally different in every way except for the cleverness that permeates every bit of it, check it out) are real achievements, I'm so happy for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin State.

06/17/2010 page 4
1.0% "Wow, that was the best opening I've read in a long time! So many cool elements, I'm seriously intrigued." 3 comments
06/18/2010 page 95
19.0% "Fantastic. I hate to stop for the night. Not so much because it's such a page turner, but more because it feels so real, like I'm there."
06/18/2010 page 134
27.0% "Just skilled writing, I'm still loving it. The way she imagined and explained their cyberworld is fantastic. And the tech seems consistent with the sci-fi I've read while taking it a step further. Reminds me of Richard K. Morgan in style too, which is a great compliment from me. He's my favorite really-smart-without-flaunting-it modern sci-fi (and fantasy now) author."
05/30/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/30/2013 page 1
0.0% "Was so thrilled to finally get book 3 after all of these years, but now I need to re-read the first two books. This was one of my first five star books, hope I still love it."
06/03/2013 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Scifi that isn't preachy? Lies!

Cathy I should have said not overtly or overwhelmingly preachy. There is definitely a point of view. But there is also some balance, with points made on both sides of various issues. And the preaching that's there is as a part of the story and not long, out-of-place lectures.

message 1: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user LOL. That's cool, I was just teasin'. That's important though.