Shelley's Reviews > The Independence Of Miss Mary Bennet

The Independence Of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough

Nov 03, 08

bookshelves: historical, literature
Read in November, 2008

It wasn't poorly written, but I really disagreed with where she felt the characters would be twenty years down the line. That's a major basic point to disagree on and makes the rest of the book hard to enjoy. I felt sad for Lizzy, but I also felt sad for Fitz, and especially for their kids, and for Lydia and Jane and everyone, really. (But never Caroline. Or Ned, and his relationship with Fitz was really weird.) Also, the title is misleading because it's just as much about Lizzy as Mary, possibly more so.

But it is a very pretty cover.

Originally: Not so keen on the review that said they "felt so sad for Lizzy," but it does sound pretty interesting.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Independence Of Miss Mary Bennet.

message 1: by Trin (new)

Trin Yes, that worried me too! Let me know if McCullough does something unspeakably awful to her, will you? :\

Shelley The Amazon UK summary mentioned Jane's big family and Lizzy and Mr. Darcy's social standing, so maybe they couldn't have kids? I could handle that far better than them having a lousy marriage or his death or such. We'll have to see.

message 3: by Trin (new)

Trin Yeah, the latter was my immediate fear. SO NOT COOL.

message 4: by Rory (new) - rated it 1 star

Rory We don't have this at OPPL, Shelley--can you loan me your copy when you're done? All my Facebook friends want to read it now, too--I hope their libraries carry it .

Shelley Absolutely! I've got a friend sending it to me (I guess it's only available in the UK at the moment?) and I shall pass it on.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne B&T is giving me a pub date of 12/30, so I'll be ordering it first thing in January... want me to put a hold on it for you when I do?

'chris d Yours was the first review I read. It sounds like Ms. McCullough made it a little dark for your taste.

I will still be reading it but I really appreciate your opinion and your warning.

Paula Whoops. I'm the one that wrote that I felt so sad for Lizzy...sorry! Rest easy, Darcy isn't dead. It was a personal feeling as I love P&P to bits. Desert Island? I'd probably be taking that book.
As I read a lot of Regency and Georgian biographies, I could see that the situation that the characters find themselves in was believeable. Remember that both Lizzy & Darcy had to overcome their own reservations as well as societial, and those prejudices from outside the family wouldn't disappear in a hurry. Plus they are so different from each other - marriage, even without the financial pressures, isn't easy. It's a lot of work and maybe they just didn't work hard enough.