Julia's Reviews > Human Property Hanging in the Family Tree Yields a Harvest

Jun 27, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: ebook, gave-up
Read in June, 2012

While I do realize this is non-fiction, the writing style really could have done with a lot of editing. Non-fiction books can have a voice to them and I felt that this one severely lacked it. Also, the repetitiveness of the sentences bothered me (eg. "Z happened. Here's why. And so Z happened.") I'd prefer to have it be either: "Z happened. Here's why." or "This happened and the result was Z."

It felt very list-like and I couldn't sense where this was going. Based on the blurb I read, I thought I was going to discover Mariah's story. Instead, I was treated to a long list of people and where they came from and all sorts of details I didn't need to know in order to obtain a good picture of the living conditions Mariah was born into. If I'd been told: "Mr. X, who relates to Mariah because of Y, came from..." then I would've been a lot happier with the narrative because I could see where they were going with the whole thing.

So I gave-up. I may give it another go later, but I just was not gripped enough to struggle through the text to find the interesting bits. Which is sad because I'm sure there are many interesting bits in there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Human Property Hanging in the Family Tree Yields a Harvest.